In our coastal community, flooding is often a concern. The Town of Jean Lafitte is susceptible to high tides, tropical storms and hurricanes. Floodwaters can quickly cover main roads and highways during storm events, often preventing evacuations and rescues. It is vitally important for citizens to be well informed and take preventative actions.
During the last decade, Lafitte has experienced four major storms in varying degrees. We have proven that we are a resilient people, but we also know that as we rebuild, there is always room for improvement. This page is designed to inform residents on the many ways we can better prepare our families and our property in the event of a flood.
We also have the following documents at the local library to provide information about flood protection. They are available to the public at 4917 City Park Drive, Lafitte, LA.
1. Above the Flood: Elevating Your Floodprone House, FEMA-347 (2000)
2. Answers to Questions About the National Flood Insurance Program, F-084 (2011)
3. Coastal Construction Manual, FEMA-P-55, (2011)
4. Elevated Residential Structures, FEMA-54 (1984)
5. Protecting Manufactured Homes from Floods and Other Hazards, FEMA P-85 (2009)
6. Mitigation of Flood and Erosion Damage to Residential Buildings in Coastal Areas, FEMA- 257 (1994)
7. Protecting Building Utilities From Flood Damage, FEMA-P-348 (1999)
8. Protecting Floodplain Resources, FEMA-268 (1996)
9. Reducing Damage from Localized Flooding, FEMA 511 (2005)
Additionally, the following locally pertinent Documents are available:
1. Flood Insurance Study (Jefferson Parish and Incorporated Areas) (2018)
2. Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan (2015)
3. Louisiana Homeowners Handbook to prepare for Natural Hazards (2014)
4. Program for Public Information (2015)
5. Storm Water Management Plan (2016)
6. Flood Damage Prevention Ordinances
7. The 2018 Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) Panels
8. Resilient Jean Lafitte: Flood Preparedness Tool Kit
9. Resilient Jean Lafitte: A Flood Emergency Preparedness Plan
10.Louisiana Homeowners Handbook to prepare for Natural Disasters
Digital copies of all listed documents are available on at: http://www.jplibrary.net/flood/index.html
Per The Community Rating System (CRS) requirements, the Town of Jean Lafitte updates the following reports each year:
There are a number of actions that can be taken to prepare and prevent damage caused by flooding in our community
- PREVENTATIVE – zoning, building codes, and other developmental regulations.
- PROPERTY PROTECTION – relocation out of harm’s way, retrofitting buildings, insurance
- EMERGENCY SERVICES – warning, sandbagging, evacuation
- FLOOD CONTROL – levees, stormwater management, drainage improvements
- PUBLIC INFORMATION – outreach projects, technical assistance to property owners
The Floodplain Management and Hazard Mitigation Department strives to lessen the risk of flooding and implement long-term actions now to reduce the loss of life and property from the impacts of future disasters in the Town of Jean Lafitte.
We provide the following services:
- Flood Zone Determinations and Flood Map Inquiries
- Education and Outreach for Natural Hazards
- Guidance on Various Mitigation Methods
- Community Rating System (CRS) Program
- Elevation Certificate and Flood Insurance Declarations Page Analysis
You can download flood elevation maps for your area: